Walk Dover is committed to promoting a vibrant, walk-friendly downtown.
A citizen-driven grassroots program dedicated to creating a walk-friendly, vibrant downtown through advocacy for pedestrian-oriented way-finding signage and for City infrastructure improvements to improve the quality of pedestrian facilities, safety, and accessibility. Leveraging web-based technologies, we will highlight our community assets for visitors and residents, as well as promote programs to educate the public of the health, economic and environmental benefits of walking in our urban center.
Elements of a Walk-Friendly Community:
- Transportation choices and access
- Pedestrian safety through streets and sidewalk design
- Vision for growth/achieving density
- Integrated and coordinated parking
- Linking parks, public spaces, attractions
Walk-Friendly Downtowns Attract Business & Investment:
- Residents who spend money locally
- Employers/employees who frequent places to eat/shop
- Creates a visitor-friendly perception
- Urges people to spend more time and money